Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Best Clone Trooper

Within the last 24 hours, three packages arrived at our door -- all from my older siblings (and/or their spouses). I don't how they arranged it, but it was like having a baby-shower-by-mail. Each of the gifts was quite thoughtful, and we were able to put the blankets to immediate use. I just couldn't resist snapping pictures of the little shirts that my sister's kids had decorated with fabric markers. The shirts included such themes as:
- a purple "elfint"
- "Scott the lion-tamer"
- Star Wars droids R2D2 and R4D2
- a chicken
- A Star Wars clone trooper

We felt a little bad that all of our family had given us gifts, since we had not done the same for them when they had given birth to any of their several children. Apparently, we are on the hook to give presents now that we are fully-initiated parents. My siblings have mostly finished having kids, so we'll have to focus our attentions on R's side of the family.

WhenI was talking to my sister, I recounted to her an experience I'd had while waiting for R in a medical clinic on Monday. I had Scott in the car seat and sat down in the waiting area. A pregnant lady sitting nearby leaned out to see under the car seat canopy and said,

"My daughter was much larger than that. She was 8lbs-9oz."

I didn't really know how to respond. This sounded like an affront, but I figured it was probably just a poor conversation starter.

"I guess you win," I ventured. I added, "He came a bit early," as if in apology. She leaned further to get a better look and said,

"Yep, my daughter was WAY bigger than that." She started nodding for added emphasis. As silly as it sounds, I just couldn't help but think she was slagging off my cute little boy. I really didn't know what to say, so I said,

"Good for you." (note sarcasm)

I am a total jerk, I guess. I just wonder, is all of parenthood going to be like this? (ie: "My son/daughter has wider fingernails than yours does.") If so, I'm going to have to work on my restraint.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh yes. Competition will always be a part of parenthood. But it depends on the parents too. But the competition will not always be about who's kid is the best. Oh no. Some parents compete over who's kid is the worst when comparing horror stories. You just wait. Sometimes these parents are very subtle about their attacks!

Eric said...

My baby is more blurry than yours.

Anonymous said...

My kids will be so pleased to know that their handiwork was blog-worthy.

I, personally, am glad you took that mom down a notch. Well done.

Anonymous said...

All your baby are belong to us.

Sincerely,
Clinic lady and large daughter.

Anonymous said...

What el dubya said.

Ed Rooney

Anonymous said...

Oh, just wait, not only are there comparisons but for some reason people love to critique and point out any outstanding features - big feet, big nose, old-manish, buck teeth, etc. I guess they feel it's their duty to point it out in case you haven't noticed. It's actually one of my pet peeves, but alas...

Linz said...

Allyson rocks! What a creative gift idea!

That's a funny story and you are so not a jerk. I've heard lots of comments and I've gotten so I can ignore it. I used to get mad when strangers would say "He's so cute" when she was wearing pink but I'm over it now. Lately I've heard, "Is she crawling yet?", and when I say no they give me this kind of surprised look and say, "oh." I just kind of chuckle to myself and think "Whatever." We're all doing what we can to help our babies and they all look and act different!

Anonymous said...

That's nothing. When my son was born I heard nothing but "what a cute little girl" for the first 6 months. I mean, the kid was dressed in NAVY and GREEN, for pete's sake! I was always replying to the contrary - that it's a boy. Well, when Ariadna was born, she was bald for TWO YEARS!!! Despite the pinks and pastels, I had to hear "what a nice boy" until her hair began to grow in. And you know what? I just didn't care at that point and just said "thanks"!