Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Home on the Range



Scott was SOOOOOO excited to go visit Grandma and Grandpa W's house in Pocatello on the way back from Utah. Grandpa had promised to let him shoot a REAL GUN at targets in the back of their property!



The gun that he shot happened to be mine. I bought a .22 bolt-action rifle from my older brother for $100 back when I was about 13. I don't have much need for it these days, so it's nice that Dad still keeps it around and let Scotty shoot it.



After a few shots to learn the basics, Scott was able to run the bolt himself and pull the trigger. Dad held onto the stock to make sure it stayed pointed where it was supposed to. Scott's still a bit small to try to look in the scope, so they used a simple point-and-shoot method of aiming. Remarkably, they still managed to clip the target at least once, maybe twice.



I got to pop off a few shots from the upper end of the arsenal. In addition to the paper targets, we shot at some exploding targets. When my Dad told me about them, I expected something that would go up with a nice little puff of smoke. When I hit it, the flash that I saw through the scope was enough to nearly blind me and I felt the concussion wave tugging at my clothes as it went by. Scott had gone inside by then and he said that it was so loud and the flash so bright he was sure it was going right through the walls.



Dad know how to put on a good show.

No comments: