Saturday, April 14, 2007

After Midnight

I was going to make a post last night, but it was long after midnight, so I skipped it and just went to bed. Perhaps I skipped it because of what my dad always says:

"Nothing good ever happens after midnight."

This saying was actually passed down to him from his dad, whenever Grandpa reminded him of his midnight curfew. Along with the saying, we also inherited the curfew. Until I moved out of the house at the age of 19, I had a strict 12:00 curfew. It was somewhat inconvenient, as I recall. Most times, things didn't ever really get rolling on a Saturday night until 10 or 11 o'clock, so I ended up seeing the first half of a lot of movies.

You might argue that there are some good things that happen after midnight. Lots of babies are born in the middle of the night. Lots of university term papers are written after midnight. Of course, some of those babies could be ill-tempered, and some of those term papers could be poorly constructed.

Last night we were up late organizing the basement because we are having a Realtor come and look at the house to talk about helping us sell it. The basement was a total disaster area, and we worked on it until 1:30am. I was quite pleased with the results, which made me wonder about the "midnight" maxim. Would things have looked better if I'd finished earlier?

I decided not to push my luck, and put off making this blog posting until this morning. I've written plenty of poorly-constructed essays in the past, and I didn't want to risk another incident.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only times I have not regretted staying up past midnight were when I was engaged in a gospel conversation or serving someone. I actually I am a midnight junkie...internet or movies, and every day I pay for it. Cheers to D the man who knows better!

Cram

Anonymous said...

And then there's that old saying... the Holy Ghost goes to bed at midnight.
LA

Grandma Walters said...

Anonymous' second comment was what my brother always used to tell me!!