Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Calm Before the Storm

Before I launch into another update on baby Scott's health and fitness, I thought I should also provide a short insight into the other, less baby-related areas of our life. I thought for a minute about what those things could possibly be, and came up with the following:

I watched the Ottawa Senators playoff game (while I was snuggling on the couch with Scott) and saw them lose in double overtime. It was depressing to see them lose, but it was great to look at this tiny parcel of humanity dozing on my chest.

So, not only did I fail at trying to talk about non-baby stuff, the only thing I could come up with was sad. Perhaps I shouldn't force it.

It's 4:30am and I'm sitting up with little Scott right now. He woke up for a feed about an hour ago, and fussed a little bit after R went back to bed, so I sat with him for a while. I think my new favourite thing in life is to recline on a chair and have Scott lie on my chest. We spent several hours this way today, including several minutes in the IKEA chair that my brother gave me for my birthday. That was a few months ago, but we only assembled it yesterday -- which happened to be his birthday.

My brother (T) is notorious for falling out of communication with people. If he's a friend of yours, I imagine you've already noticed that he can disappear for months (even years) without much in the way of correspondence. That's why I was impressed to get a phone call from him on my most recent birthday. He offered me a chair. Apparently, he'd ordered one for himself online and found out when it was delivered that he'd accidentally purchased two. Considering it too much hassle to cart the package back to IKEA on the New York subway, he decided to give it to us.

I asked, "Is this because it's my birthday?"

He paused and said, "Riiiiigggghhhhhht. That's today, isn't it?" He didn't do a very good job of hiding the fact that he'd forgotten, but I was grateful all the same. We picked up the chair from him the next time we went to New York, and decided to use it instead of a rocking chair, for times when you want to sit and rock the baby to sleep, etc.

Speaking of sleep, this little boy of ours pretty much does nothing else. He wakes up long enough to eat and then he just goes back to sleep. Sometimes he goes to sleep while he's eating. He's a sleepy kid. We've been warned that this is likely more of a newborn behaviour than it is part of his personality. Several nurses said that we should enjoy it while it lasts, because he won't be this sleepy for very long.

Basically, this is the calm before the storm. That means I should probably go back to bed and sleep while I can.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are so great! There's nothing better than having a baby curled up on you.

Kage said...

oh...i want to smell him

Linz said...

Little v's first night of life her temperature was a little low and they had her sleep on my chest...I'll never forget it. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Keep sending those cute photos, as we won't get to meet him very soon. But, how about a picture of the mom enjoying him as much as you are!!! Come on, share the moment!!!

Anonymous said...

I just enlarged that first picture, and it almost looks like little Scott is smiling! Such contentment at cuddling with Dad.

Aaron said...

beautiful babe! nothing like some snugglie luvin