Friday, April 06, 2007

Super Fix-It Handy Guy

Easter is a beautiful holiday, packed with meaning. It is wonderful to have a few days off to enjoy the renewal of the earth as you celebrate the resurrection of Christ. In Canada, we have a 4-day weekend, because we get Good Friday and Easter Monday off of work. It's great, because it's almost like having two Saturdays and Two Sundays. You get to enjoy the real Saturday that much more because you can get so much done on Friday and still have some time to relax. Because you've had such a super Saturday, you can really focus on the events of Easter Sunday, and think about the meaning of the holiday. You don't get those Sunday-evening blues because you still get the next day off.

Last year and this year, Easter Weekend has also meant repairs in our house. We undertook a significant renovation project in 2006, and we're still not quite done. Although we spent much of our May long-weekend last year working on it, several things have remained unfinished for the last 11 months. With the baby coming, and the likelihood that we'll sell our house this summer, we have already been working to get things finished.

I've already gone to Rona (the main competitor with Home Depot in Eastern Canada) three times this week, including twice yesterday. I am very greatful for their liberal return policy, since I have purchased over $300 worth of bathroom fixtures, but I've only kept about $30 worth. We were trying to replace the control mechanism in our leaky shower, and hoping to avoid major plumbing work. I tried buying shiny new shower systems from the same company as the existing one (Moen), in the hope that I could use the new inner cartridge in the old pipe and have the benefit of a new handle as well. Unfortunately, things have changed and the new ones don't quite fit. I had to buy two different shower kits before I came to this conclusion. When I finally found a replacement cartridge just like the old one, I found out from the Rona plumbing guy that Moen cartridges have a lifetime warranty, so I got it for free -- so my only cost was buying a newer version of the old plastic handle and a new shower head. It all Looks pretty good.

Well, there are some baseboards in the hallway calling my name, so I'm going to have to leave now. I've only got two Saturdays to get all my Super Fix-It Handiwork done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to get two Saturdays and two Sundays. I don't think we get anything extra.

We certainly know about house renovations--seems like everywhere we go we are renovating something. It is kind of fun--but it just never seems to be finished and costs twice as much as you thought it would. Good work on the shower !

Jessica said...

Can you motivate Sheldon into working on our house, please?

Anonymous said...

Actually in Canada government workers get a 4 day weekend. Everyone else gets a three day weekend. But thanks for rubbing it in!!