Sunday, April 01, 2007

Coming Home From the Hospital

We'll, I didn't get to this post until now because we've been at the hospital.

Did you think (if only for a second) that we'd had the baby today? I talked to my brother on the phone tonight and mentioned that we'd been at the hospital and he started getting excited. There's nothing to get excited about yet, but it is kind of fun to get people wound up, given that it's the first day of April and all.

Honestly, we did go to the hospital tonight, but not because R was going into labour. It was because she has been having some abdominal pains all weekend, and finally we figured she needed to get checked out. She is fine sitting down, but she has a lot of pain when she walks.

A lady we know who is a doula told her to call the Tele-Health hotline.
The Tele-Health nurse told her to go to the hospital.
The hospital nurse told her to sit in a chair and wait for the doctor.
The doctor told her that she's not in labour.

We knew that already, thanks.

He also said that the baby is fine and everything looks okay, so it's likely an issue of "broad ligament pain" or muscle pain. I believe that this is kind of like growing pains, but for pregnant ladies.

It was comforting to hear that there was nothing wrong. I think it's harder to deal with pain when you also have to deal with uncertainty. Now that we know everything's okay, it will be easier for R to deal with it. It was good that we went in.

It was also good that we went in a few weeks before labour, because it took us a while to find where we were supposed to go. Now that we have done a practice run, I think I can get her there quite quickly. I wanted to try a practice lap with one of the wheelchairs by the door, but R wasn't interested. That's fine, because she probably couldn't have pushed me fast enough to make it all that thrilling.

An eerie thought crossed my mind while we were getting ready to leave the house. I couldn't help but consider the possibility that we might come back from our hospital trip with a baby. I didn't say anything to R at the moment, because I didn't want to stress her out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This pregnancy stuff just gets better and better, hey R? I think all of the discomfort, awkwardness, and fatigue are all calculated to make a woman ready to do whatever it takes to have that baby just for the relief of not being pregnant anymore! It's a rather clever system, actually.

I'm glad it wasn't labor and that you now have a good grasp of the hospital's layout. D, you'll also want to go back and scope out the nearest snack machines and quickest route to and from the cafeteria so that you can quickly sneak out, grab food, and eat it surreptitiously while R munches on endless, tasteless ice chips during labor. This will serve to keep resentment down as hunger rises.

Anonymous said...

Good advice, Allyson. I am all about the finding the cafeterias and food sources when someone else is having a baby. (By the way, University of Utah hospital has the best hospital cafeteria food I have ever eaten--just in case anyone is keeping track of such things.)
When I was pregnant with you, D, I had to have my appendix out when I was about 5 months along. That causes a bit of consternation--they were not sure whether to send me to the obstetric floor or the surgical floor. And to add more fun to the mix, there was a nurses strike going on and things were really quite mixed up and exciting. All worked out well, but I did have a moment or two of concern.
Glad there were no major problems this weekend. Hope you are feeling better, R.