Monday, April 16, 2007

Baby Web Cam

WEEK
37
Full term is today. The baby should be 6+ pounds and nearly 20 inches long, if you trust the figures that BabyCenter provides.

In case you were wondering about the weather here in Ottawa, I've provided a photograph of the scene that greeted us out our bedroom window this morning. I believe there is a saying about "April Showers". I wonder what you get from "April Sleet" -- May Heat, perhaps? This picture is so dismal. I should take one of these photos every morning at the same time to document the horrid spring we've been having. I could set it up like my cousin's site, which snaps a photo of him at his desk every day at noon from his webcam.

...Except this one wouldn't have pictures of my cousin.

Our camcorder is pretty good in video mode, but the still photos that go on the memory card aren't that great, so I don't usually bother. Today I found another use for it. As I was transferring some pictures of R's Saturday recital from the video camera to the computer, I noticed that I could use it as a web cam. I happened to get a great shot of R's tummy when I snapped a still photo from the computer.


This gave me an idea.

We still don't have a baby monitor, so we've been looking online and in catalogues a little bit. The latest gadget is a video baby monitor, which is much more expensive than the standard audio monitor. If I wanted to go through the hassle of setting up the laptop at my bedside, I could have a video baby monitor that would also double as a night light for me. I think it would be soothing to fill our bedroom with the cool glow of the computer screen.

In the end we'll probably just get an audio monitor. According to a BabyCenter poll, that's what 74% of parents use. I just want to fit in.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, once the baby's born R won't need a monitor to know when he needs something. She'll just know but seeing as how fitting in is really important, it's still a good idea to go with the audio monitor. :)
-Brooke G

Anonymous said...

I noticed how far R tummy is, but also how that is arching her back. Keep those stretches up so your back doesn't ache too much this last month. You're carrying a lot. . . .out front! Helen

Aaron said...

Tell R she looks great! from the spokompton bunch :)

only a couple more weeks!! wooooo

Linz said...

I've been perfectly content with my audio monitor, but I have a few friends who really like their audio monitor that also has a motion sensor for the crib. Maybe something to consider if you haven't already bought yours.

Anonymous said...

I'll pass on this one. We never even heard of monitors in my mothering stage!

Anonymous said...

On second thought I'll comment on the snow. We went south to fish Monday through today (Thursday) and we had sun, rain, wind and snow! But it was cool swimming in the outdoor covered pool, looking out the windows and watching the snow slowly descending, and occasionally a big blob falling off the roof. Grandpa had fun fishing and of course caught many, and we enjoyed the visit with our friends there with us!