Friday, April 27, 2007

Transmitting From Soiled Room A457

If you are going to have a baby at the Ottawa Civic Hospital, and you are wondering about bringing your laptop, I can tell you that there is one "open" wireless internet network within range of the Post-Partum Unit on the 4th floor of A-wing. You can blog to your heart's content as long as you are in one of four rooms:
Patient Room A453
Patient Room A455
Supply Room A457
Soiled Room A459

I can't be certain if the signal is coming from another floor in A-wing or from the adjoining tower. To be safe, it's best to work close to the windows.


We started out in semi-private room A453, which had a great signal, but then we were moved to our private room in A458, which is across the hall and too far for a reliable connection. Whenever I wanted to make blog postings or check email, I had to go into one of these other rooms. Unfortunately, the patient rooms were usually occupied, so I ended up in one of the utility rooms most of the time. The nurses gave me some odd looks as they came and went from room A457 and A459 and saw me typing among the various carts and trays.

This information had value beyond simple blogging -- I was able to apply online for Scott's birth certificate and SIN number before leaving the hospital. If you are going to have a baby soon, keep all of these factors in mind when you go to the admitting desk.

PS: On my way out here to post this, I found a guy huddled over his computer doing some real work and I showed him my little internet cafe. He was thrilled because he desperately needs a connection.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Births never go quite like you hope they will but what a prize comes out at the end! I've heard of doctors who gently massage the "cone heads" to more "normal" shapes just in case it doesn't go back just right! His head is probably just fine already, if not - they usually recommend little knit hats these days to keep their little heads from losing too much heat (and cover up misshapen heads?) Love the name, it is a family name for us - Danial Scott Frey. Scott is his dad's best friend. Scott was one of the names they discussed if they had had a boy. Rochelle you did great! What an amazing experience to finally hold that little one. He's certainly coming to an amazing family. And lucky you to get to know him! Love to you both and get any rest you can whenever you can!

Anonymous said...

I went to the public library so I could see the pictures 'cause our internet is still down from the snowstorm the other day ! All I can say is
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
SO CUTE ! (Both dad and baby!)

We are so thrilled we can hardly stand it.

Anonymous said...

What a tiny, cute package he makes in your big hands!

Anonymous said...

Love seeing the pictures of the happiness that is there with this new one!!! Keep it up, as if anyone thought you wouldn't! Glad you can keep blogging wherever you are. And I won't try to win races anymore to get on - too busy myself! But I will surely go to the movie when you get it made, it might be fun to see "flashbacks". Rachelle's cousin Trevor may be just the one to get in on the silver screen for you!!! He is in to that you know, but he may insist on being the "crazy daddy" in the film, as he could really make you look good! Love you all!

Kage said...

Nobody cares about your wi-fi D, we just think the baby is so cute....and he is, and he looks like you and he is going to be spoiled b/c of his cuteness.

Anonymous said...

Finally some useful network information regarding the Civic Hospital's wireless network - I've been searching everywhere for this! As a prospective father/geek, I truly appreciate your insight. Saves me from having to war drive around the hospital with a Pringles can and my laptop...

Scotty P said...

What the heck is a soiled room? Is that a Canadian term?

D said...

Something that has been soiled has become dirty. For example, a poopy diaper, a soot-stained shirt, or a dirty game of settlers of catan.

That isn't a Canadian term, but it might be less common in the USA, where they don't play settlers of catan quite as much.