Monday, April 02, 2007

Fill Your Man Purse With Games

WEEK
35
Only five weeks left in our countdown. That's barely more than a month. I don't want to sound repetitive, but we are getting more and more excited/worried about the big day. Time rolls on, the belly grows, and anxiety builds. It's a wonderful time.

This week's BabyCenter update says that the baby is about 18 inches long and a bit over five pounds. They say that he's getting big enough that he can't roll around much anymore. No surprise there, since all indications are that the baby is larger than average. In fact, last night at the hospital, the nurse thought R was a few weeks further along than she is. She was surprised when R said she was one day short of 35 weeks.

Today's BabyCenter article also recommends a trial run to the hospital a few weeks ahead of time, and they tell you a bunch of things you should do when you visit, including the following:
- preregister
- scope out the best delivery room
- find out where to get food

They warned us 24 hours too late, so we missed all these things. Instead, we just wandered around and the nurse made fun of me for carrying a purse. It was R's purse, not mine -- I swear.

My brother carries a Man Purse. Here's a picture of it.

Going to the hospital was a bit of a reality check, especially for for me. R explained that not only does she need to have a bag of stuff packed for the hospital, but I am also supposed to have my own stuff packed in the bag. I thought I just had to bring the car keys and drive like crazy. Apparently, my department's responsibilities extend beyond transportation and ice chips into areas like entertainment (card games) and documentation (insurance forms).

I promise to carry out these duties to the best of my ability when called upon -- and to drive like mad.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

LOL @ drive like mad.

Kage said...

I think it's time you went shopping for your Daddy Diaper Bag. Maybe you could get the Daddy Belt, or order something in one of these Manly Prints, or you could go more Rock N Roll. Maybe you should have a vote.

Grandma Walters said...

I am glad you made the trial run to the hospital. My nephew is a OBGYN, and he tells this "true" story. A man dashed his wife to the hospital, while talking on the phone very excidedly, and was directed to go to the delivery entrance. My nephew frantically tried to find the man and the wife now HAVING the baby, and he was found at the delivery entrance all right - where they deliver medical supplies! Our family DR told me that my nephew was his wife's doctor. My nephew, Wayne Young (renowned gymnist until turning to delivering babies) agreed to be there for the delivery but to have my family doctor do the delivery as he requested. After the fact I asked my nephew how it went and he just laughed, so did his wife, and made me promise I would be sure to tell my doctor that they did not TELL ME A THING! Well, I asked my doctor and he told me: he was rushing his wife to the hospital but she wanted to be sure he delivered the baby I guess, so she had it in the car and he truly did DELIVER it! So, be prepared for anything. Include in your "purse" some sterilized string and some scissors! Good luck!